Life Writing and American Studies
This forum seeks to outline a variety of research prospects at the intersection of American studies and life-writing studies. The common thread that interrelates the individual contributions is spun and twisted out of various filaments of life writing theory which productively dialogue with current trajectories in American studies. The contributors to this special forum highlight what they consider particularly significant developments of the interdisciplinary field of life-writing studies. Taken together, they raise issues about representations of the self in film, literature, and popular culture from the vantage points of transnational American studies, feminist studies, intermediality studies, oceanic studies, affect theory, critical race theory, and queer theory. The result is a rich, multi-layered conversation about the future of American studies within the interdisciplinary and decidedly transnational context of life-writing studies.
- Beard, Laura J. ed. "Indigenous Autobiographical Writings in the Americas." Special issue. a|b: Auto|Biography Studies 31, no. 3 (2016).
- Chansky, Ricia Anne, and Emily Hipchen, eds. The Routledge Auto|Biography Studies Reader. New York: Routledge, 2016.
- Chansky, Ricia Anne, ed. "Auto|Biography across the Americas." Special issue. a|b: Auto|Biography Studies 30, no. 1 (2015).
- Hipchen, Emily, and Ricia Anne Chansky. "Looking Forward: The Futures of Auto|Biography Studies." a|b: Auto|Biography Studies 32, no. 2 (2017): 139–157. https://doi.org/10.1080/08989575.2017.1301759.
- Gilmore, Leigh. "The Mark of Autobiography: Postmodernism, Autobiography, and Genre." In Autobiography and Postmodernism, edited by Kathleen M. Ashley, Leigh Gilmore, and Gerald Peters, 3–21. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 1994.
- Laurie McNeill and John David Zuern, eds. "Online Lives 2.0." Special issue. Biography 28, no. 2 (2015).
- Rüggemeier, Anne. Die relationale Autobiographie: Ein Beitrag zur Theorie, Poetik und Gattungsgeschichte eines neuen Genres in der englischsprachigen Erzählliteratur. Trier: Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier, 2014.
- Smith, Sidonie, and Julia Watson. Reading Autobiography: A Guide for Interpreting Life Narratives. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2010.
- Somerville, Alice Te Punga, Daniel Heath Justice, and Noelani Arista, eds. "Indigenous Conversations about Biography." Special issue. Biography 39, no. 3 (2016).